Thursday, February 4, 2010

My Favorite Picture Book Right Now...



This is my first official blog entry!

With my abundance of free time - since I'm only working 3 days a week in the office - I've started to pursue other interests I've long held off. Specifically, my love of children's books and mural art. I will be adding weekly updates about new findings on these two topics - as well as uploading my own works in progress. I hope that will keep me motivated!

So a few months back I came across a wonderfully updated version of 'There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly'by designer and illustrator Jeremy Holmes. The book is published by Chronicle Books and you can purchase a copy here. There are just so many things to love about this book. First off, this is a book that has it all! Pop up mechanics, custom die-cuts and a long custom shape with a gate fold opening...it's great to see when books are produced at such high quality. When you flip through, each page is beautifully illustrated with cut-out collages, vintage papers, and detailed line work. As you read each line, the reader is taken on a journey through the pages of her stomach, where you can see all the crazy things the old lady swallows. When you reach the end of the rhyme, the old lady's eyes close! I must also add that I liked the type choice for this book. Mrs. Eaves was one of my favorite fonts for awhile some years back, and it really fits with his vintage/folk style.

This is really a little piece of art to add to your book shelf.

If you're interested in learning more about the production & mechanics of the book, check it out here.

1 comment:

  1. You are still so cute and adorable...yet perfectly professional!

    enough about jeremy holmes, are your books for sale? my two girls like to read the same 100 books over and over and over. it's time we add some more to our repertoire :)

    ReplyDelete