Thursday, February 25, 2010

Marking Up PenTales



Last week I started designing a new logo for PenTales, a NYC based storytelling & writing group. It has been challenging but fun. While I did take a number of type classes in art school, I didn't have many opportunities to hand draw entire alphabets from scratch. Thus, my pen tool lines never looked as elegant as I imagined and even zooming in at 800%, my eyes started to blur and lose focus after staring at my screen for so long. But after awhile, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it...sort of.

While pouring hours of my life into Illustrator, I now have even more respect for designer/illustrator Jessica Hische, who hand draws beautiful, original type straight from the computer. I love checking for her new Daily Drop Caps! She must've practiced ALOT to achieve such perfectly shaped lines & curves! (At least I'd like to think so, being born with such a talent is just too much)

Enough said, take a look at the work in progress. I'd be happy to hear your thoughts and comment on which ones you like.

1 comment:

  1. OK - for Logo symbols - I really like #11 - I think it's my favorite - and I also like #8 (but with a different "t" in the "pt" part, and #9

    for logo text - I like 3, 4, and 5. (to me 3 and 5 are the same but one is smaller..?) I like the "t's" in those ones.

    For color my fav is #11 orange.

    ReplyDelete