Saturday, March 13, 2010

MoMA's Tim Burton Retrospective





On Friday, I finally made it out to Tim's Burton's Retrospective at the MoMA in Midtown. It is a very extensive show on the film maker/artist's life. It starts from his early teenage years and chronologically takes you through his 2 years at CalArts, 4 years at Disney and all of his films including more recent movies like Corpse Bride and Sweeney Todd.

Burton's works on exhibit include video, graphics, film, drawings, paintings, puppetry, photography, storyboards and costumes. It is a glimpse into the inner workings of his mind, which I find to be both disturbing and endearing, but nonetheless fascinating. I really enjoyed his outlandish sketches which included funny titles to them. I found myself chuckling through many of his drawings as I made my way down the crowded room. It was also really interesting to see the numerous drafts, storyboards and models that went into the initial stages of his films. I also watched a wonderful version of "Hansel and Gretel"by Burton. The set design was visually striking with a cut paper feel to it. The fight scene inside the candy house between the children and the witch was my favorite!

Tim Burton's show is going on until April 26th. If you're a fan of his, it's definitely worth checking out!







No comments:

Post a Comment